Saturday, April 26, 2014

LinkedIn: Mostly Acquaintances

     After now spending more time in business classes this term to complete my minor in business administration, I decided to revisit my measly looking LinkedIn page that I created last year. When I created it originally, I only put in a few basic things in and lost interest pretty quick. What got me hooked back on was when I got an email from LinkedIn saying that the guy next door to me wanted to add me as a connection. A couple days later I began talking to him about LinkedIn, and he convinced me to go back on and add more relevant information that I haven't yet posted. I then spent a few hours adding info and looking for connections to add to my collection of people. Next thing I knew, I saw it as a competitive game of who could gather the most connections. This scenario relates to what we discussed in class about adding friends on Facebook just to get more online friends than your other real life friends. I found myself just adding people to add them on LinkedIn. Some of the people I didn't even now very well at all, but I wanted to continue adding them because I felt that the more people I am connected to the better the chance they might be able to help me in the future. It made me feel like a dirty person for basically using them for their This concept continues on LinkedIn via the endorsement section. In this section, you basically just give kudos to be on different skills they have listed. The person endorsing you may not even have seen or experienced work done by you. Overall, my experience on LinkedIn has left me to question the direction social media websites are going, but I still plan to continue using it in the future in order to make those connections that lead to a future job I might want.


No comments:

Post a Comment